A stand-alone semen analysis to evaluate the characteristics of semen sample. It may also be ordered as part of fertility profile for men. Semen analysis provides a lot of information about the quantity and quality of both the semen and the sperm. The laboratory will check the sample for: Semen quantity (volume)
- The total number of sperm in the semen sample (total count)
- The number of sperm in each millilitre of semen (concentration)
- The percentage of sperm that are moving (motility)
- Shape of the sperm (morphology)
- Infection in the semen which might be from the reproductive system
- Semen sample
Preparation for collection
You will be asked to refrain from both intercourse and masturbation for at least 3-5 days. Avoid certain lifestyle factors, such as avoiding alcohol, caffeine and some medications in the days leading up to the sample production. Wash your hands thoroughly before producing the semen sample. A labelled specimen pot with your full name, date of birth, and clearly dated and exact time of ejaculation.
If you choose to produce a sample from the comfort and privacy of your home, the sample must be kept warm and delivered to the laboratory not later than one hour of ejaculation. Also, you cannot use a condom to transport the sample, as condoms contain spermicide.
In case of any further clarification, please do not hesitate to speak to the laboratory.